24 October 2007

Another Comfort-Buster

Had a cool experience last night. Went out for a solo night ride at Kensington and Island Lake. It was a real comfort-buster. Completely re-calibrated my idea of riding. At this point, I still don't necessarily have to ride in the dark to get a ride in, but now I know it's possible. Those two parks are gems in our area. Even though he wasn't there last night, thanks to Tom for the idea for this. He's been doing this winter ride for some time. Hope to be able to ride this with him a few times over the winter months.

Here's my journal entry:

Kensington Night Ride. Started at 6:30pm and finished around 8:30pm. Picked up a Nightrider Sol light the other day and decided to try it out tonight. Did a couple hill loops from the East Boat Launch and then went over to the West BL. Took the path to Island Lake and did an O/B there. Came back the same way I went out. Before the light was completely gone, it was an absolutely beautiful evening. Even in the low light conditions the colors were stunning. Night riding is quite different from riding in the daytime. Going to take some getting used to. Adapted pretty well as I went through Island Lake tonight. Learned to watch the speed and be very, very alert. And Tom is right.. It gets REALLY DARK back there. Only saw one other rider tonight and he was leaving the park when I got there. First ride where I saw more deer than people. No issues with dizziness or the eyes or anything. Took the Garmin back the other day. Back to using the Trek computer. Fun ride!

5 comments:

Howard said...

You're now in brave new territory that I won't dare tread. Ain't no light bright enough to keep away the monsters.

John Natiw said...

I would call you a complete wuss, Howard myman, if it weren't for one fact. I was pretty freaked out back there in Island Lake, myself. It was DARK! I actually started to "see" and "hear" stuff. I got used to it though. Sort of.
J

Howard said...

Yeah, monsters aren't so bad once you get used to them.

It's just that even in the daytime, I've narrowly avoided disaster so many times, and I've read so many stories of cycling woe, that I HAVE become something of a wuss. I just refuse to take chances on rides where too much is left to chance. I avoid congested traffic as much as possible. I ride defensively and alertly. I try to anticipate everything that can go wrong (a very tall order, but I try).

I can accept making my own mistakes and having to pay for them with road rash or worse, but I'll be darned if I'll leave my health in the hands of idiots, fate, or chance.

Unless as part of an organized ride like an very early morning brevet start, riding at night is one or two levels of risk beyond my comfort level, even though it can also be a beautiful time to ride.

John Natiw said...

Completely agree with you Howard. After my ride, I learned that Island Lake is actually closed to vehicle traffic after dark (or so a friend told me). This must be close to true, because the whole time I was back there I was passed by ONE vehicle. And it had a bike on the rack.

As funny as it sounds, I actually felt very safe (except for the whole "monster" thing) once I had a few miles under me in the dark.

1. I was very familiar with the roads I was riding (this is a biggie if you ride at night, IMO).
2. There was NO traffic (another huge factor).
3. The visibility with one light was good (but I plan on getting another identical light for my helmet to see "around turns" and stuff).

And finally, I'll take all of this "safety talk" of yours with a little grain of salt. After all, this IS 60+mph Howard talking... ;o)
J

Howard said...

"After all, this IS 60+mph Howard talking... ;o) "

Oh yeah...

Then nevermind. Have fun!