29 December 2006

Sweet 16 has turned 61


Can I just say......

Bob "freaking" Seger rocked the socks off of the Motor City tonight???

This was his third of four sold out nights here (tickets were a Christmas present to me). This man is over 60 years old ("sweet 16 has turned 61") and he was simply on fire. He sang so many of the songs that were a part of the soundtrack of my life growing up. It was actually hard to hear him many times because the crowd was drowning him out. We saw McCartney awhile back and the energy at THIS show completely dwarfed the vibe at the McCartney show. Oddly enough, growing up in the Ann Arbor/Detroit area ("my name is Bob Seger and I'm from Ann Arbor, Michigan"), I never saw Seger until tonight. Apparently I had been missing a lot.

I have to make mention of that band though. The Silver Bullet Band was in amazing form tonight. Simply one of the best "bands" I have ever seen/heard. AND.... (a special treat) DON BREWER was the drummer!!! That's right. The "Gloved One" from Grand Funk was getting funky with Mr. Seger tonight. Amazing. And there was a special tribute to the Godfather of Soul as well. Very nice touch, I thought.

One last note... the shows here are being recorded and filmed for a future Live DVD release! Woop!

"Rolling Stone magazine just said Detroit audiences are the greatest Rock n Roll audiences in the WORLD! I thought to myself, shit, I've known that for ten years!" - Bob Seger from Live Bullet recorded at Cobo many moons ago.

'tis true. What a night.

OtR and Seger in two weeks. I'm blessed.
Out.

No comments: