17 June 2007

New Wheels!

Father's Day got even better at lunch time when I came down and (eventually) saw this new beauty sitting there waiting for me. Jen and I had been driving home the other day and I saw it from the road at a garage sale. Not my custom, I turned around to check it out. After making a few off-handed comments about what a nice bike it was, we were off again for home. Turns out Jen had a plan, she worked the plan and now thanks to her and the family I have a sweet new winter ride.

Actually, this bike is almost too nice to be a winter ride. It has Shimano 600 components (Ultegra) and only weighs 2.5 pounds more than my LeMond. Gearing is 52/40 in front with 13-14-15-17-19-22 in back. Combine that with some double butted Ishawata 022 tubing and you get a really great bike! Check out the very distinctively shaped original Maruishi water bottle.

Anyway, here it is...



UPDATE - 6/18/07: Today I put some new tires, handlebar tape, water bottle cages (as cool as the original bottle was) and some new pedal straps on the Maruishi. Took it out for the group ride tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Very comfortable and very fast ride. Need to hunt down the reason for a slight "hop" in the rear wheel since changing the tires, but other than that, it was awesome. I don't think I'll ride with the toe clips again, though. Better to go ahead and pick up a set of Keo pedals and give my weary feet a rest. All in all... great bike!

UPDATE - 6/19/07: Took the rear wheel to the LBS today. They were unable to extract the "hop". Turns out the rim has a slight dent in it. If last night's ride is any indication, I should be able to tolerate it. Only seemed to notice it when riding by myself. Once I got working hard with the group it "disappeared". Also replaced the toe clips (as cool and vintage as they are) with some Look Keo pedals tonight. Don't think my feet could handle another ride with those things. Should be the last alteration I make to the Maruishi.



UPDATE - 6/21/07: Have a few rides under my belt now with this bike. I'll likely ride this a lot more than I thought. It's a very comfortable and fun bike to ride. Here's a photo (above) after changing out the tires, water bottle cages, handlebar tape and saddle. Still need to find some nice black brake hoods, but that'll come.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the new/old ride, John. Are those campagnolo components?

John Natiw said...

Nope. They are Shimano 600 all the way around. Funny, but age aside, they're nicer than the ones on my LeMond. I've got 105 on that bike. Thanks for checking it out Dre. See you around the Orchard.
J

Unknown said...

I have found this exact bike at a nearby pawn shop...same shimano 600 components, same crazy pink/peach color. This bike is in pristine condition. They have it listed for $150, but I can probably talk them down a bit (Nov 1 in MN...not too much of a demand for road bikes). I too come from a running background, but would like a road bike for my 20 mile (one way) commute. Realisticly, what is this bike worth? Deal or No Deal???

John Natiw said...

Hey Greg,
I tried to access your blog, but was unsuccessful. What a coincidence that you came across the same bike!

When I looked at this bike, I wasn't sure I wanted to spend $100 on it. After my daughter bought it for me and I've had the chance to put a few hundred miles on it this season (as a backup), I can honestly say it is worth every penny! It rides really nice (maybe better than my LeMond). If you can get that thing for $100-125 I'd jump on it. Even at $150 it's a pretty good deal. Let me know how it works out!
John

Unknown said...

All right John, I bought it! I actually got it with the end of the season 40% deal ($95, out the doot). I put some pics on my website. Mine looks a bit smaller than yours but, other than that, it is identical. I'm digging it!!!

Unknown said...

Well, nearly a year has passed after I got my Maruishi and I'm still digging it!!! I've put 1800 miles on it (50 round-trip commutes) and will put on more before I switch to my winter bike (hybrid with studded tires). I've upgraded the down-tube shifters with a set of 8-speed STI brifters and replaced the old derailleurs newer Shimano 600 8-speed derailleurs obtained off eBay. Something had to have been modified to work with the 6 speed freewheel indexing...not sure, but it's working. I also got a headlight. Overall (initial purchase price, pedals, shoes, brifters, headlight, tires included), I'm money ahead when compared to the gas savings. I've even warmed up to the color. This is a great bike...