18 April 2007

Lesson Learned... The Easy Way This Time

As I mentioned in a previous post, I went riding at Kensington yesterday afternoon. Riding in the hills is always exciting, but even more so when you develop a shimmy in your front wheel at 35+mph on a descent. That had happened once before on another bike, but never on the Tourmalet. Needless to say, I was pretty freaked out about it.

Last night I posted a thread about it over at bikejournal.com and received a ton of great advice on how to figure out what went wrong. One of the folks said something about my headset and a light immediately went off for me. The other night I had, indeed, adjusted my stem and, as a result, the headset.

When I took the bike to the local bike shop today, I found out that I had not put the headset back together in the right order. All the parts were in the right place and sequence, but I had tightened the bolts back down in the wrong order. Turns out that on these newfangled bikes, you have to turn the top disc bolt first to tighten the headset, THEN tighten the stem bolts. I had, of course, done the opposite.

Lesson learned. I'm just glad the lesson didn't require a visit to the ER.

No comments: