12 January 2008

The Golden Arrow of Consumption - UPDATE

After watching the video in the previous post a bunch of times, I was left thinking a couple things:

1. Some of it seemed too simple
2. I wondered what her sources were for some her claims, and...
3. I heartily AGREE with some of it.

This morning, I bumped around the internet a bit looking for some more information. I came across a review of the video by a guy named Andy Kaiser. Now, Andy is not an environmentalist by trade. Near as I can tell, he's in the computer industry. BUT, he does raise some very interesting questions and observations about the points discussed in Annie Leonard's video.

Story of Stuff - Review & Analysis

For instance...

Regarding capitalism:

A sidenote here, since at this point in the video, we were treated to the Big Fat Corporate Guy with a Dollar Sign on his Chest further abusing the word for his own selfish gains. That’s true. That’s capitalism. But it’s kept in check, ideally, by market competition and consumer demand (like what this video recommends). One thing that always frustrates me is that some people hate corporations, while still using their benefits. They hate big, nationwide or global-sized businesses. They want everything to be localized down to the mom-and-pop store level. Then they get in their car, use their computer or cellphone and send an email.
Again, the reviewer lends some balance to the "Big Fat Corporation Guy" thing...

You can’t have it both ways, denouncing a company while using its products to improve your life. I’m not saying corporate evils aren’t there - they are - but I think people miss that big business does a lot of good, too.
As I watched the video, I remember asking myself this question during her discussion of the video monitor. Surely the flat screen monitor has SOME benefit over that huge CRT monitor I have in storage! Well, there seems to be a few...

Then the video brings up the flat screen monitor versus the big, “ugly” CRT monitor issue. Again, she missed some major advantages of the flat screen:

A flat screen monitor is smaller (takes a lot less space on the desk)

It’s lighter (makes my job easier when installing or moving)

And, wait for it - A flat screen monitor USES LESS ENERGY than a CRT. I’m surprised how someone would still think the big CRT is just part of a planned obsolescence program, when the flat screen has so many advantages.

Neither of these issues - the CPU or the monitor - is planned obsolescence. At worst, call this unplanned obsolescence due to technological advances. Perhaps a more understandable comparison would be a car: Annie Leonard is saying that because my car from ten years ago doesn’t have the same performance as a modern car, it must be the fault of planned obsolescence on the part of the car company! I disagree.
And finally, the part that really got me wondering was when Annie basically said we dip our pillows in poison and sleep on them. This one really made me tilt my head and go "huh"? Here are a few interesting observations about that part:

Then Annie Leonard raised the freak-out level: We dip our pillows in BFR (brominated flame retardants), a horribly toxic man-made chemical, and we sleep on them!

Not knowing anything about BFRs, I did some research on this. I found two things:

One, BFRs are used primarily in electronics and electronics plastics. Things like computer circuit boards, the plastic casing around a TV set, around the rubber sheaths encasing wires in a computer, that kind of thing. And the BFRs are chemically bonded to those components. That means they’re not flying into the air, we’re not breathing them in.

Two, I was unable to find any evidence of companies dipping pillows or pillowcases in BFRs before selling them. I find this quote interesting:

“There is no federal standard requiring flame resistance of bed clothes, such as sheets, comforters, mattress pads and pillows. Additionally, the industry tends to avoid use of flame retardant chemicals on sheets, pillowcases and blankets because they have direct contact with skin, according to Gordon Damant.”
Anyway, I feel better now that I've done a bit more research on the subject. As usual, I end up thinking that the truth of the matter lies between the extremes.

Now the real question... why haven't I thrown away my huge 19" CRT monitor? ;o)
John

No comments: