11 January 2008

The Golden Arrow of Consumption

In recent months I've thought a bit about living "green". On a site that I visit frequently I've been reading a thread about the subject. Some very interesting thoughts. Also, on a bike forum I visit there is some discussion about this as well. I've recently started commuting to work part of the time on my bike.

Although my political views could be classified as moderate to conservative, I definitely agree with folks who say that we should be smart regarding our stewardship of this planet we're on. However, my views likely fall far short of some folks who believe we as a race have the power to "save the earth". I suppose there's just a bit of realist in me. Or maybe I just don't understand enough to know.

Either way, I came across an interesting online video today. This video claims many of the things that I have suspected for years about our culture today. As with many things like this, it has its political statements here and there (and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing). But the information seems to have a good deal of common sense to it even though some of it is obviously over-simplified.

The reason I've decided to post this here, though, is that it made me think about things in a new way. Over the years I've noticed this "consumption" behaviour in myself. Using things up to get new ones. Getting a newer and "better" version of something that still works perfectly well. The video claims that of all the goods purchased, only 1% are still in use within six months. There is also some interesting discussion of "consumption society" and "planned obsolescence". After viewing the video I bumped around the internet doing a bit more reading, and came across this quote:

"Paul Wachtel writes in The Poverty of Affluence: "Having more and newer things each year has become not just something we want but something we need. The idea of more, ever-increasing wealth, has become the center of our identity and our security, and we are caught up by it as the addict is by his drugs."

- source: http://www.eartheasy.com/article_consumer_culture.htm


After viewing the video, I'm actually glad I spend so much time on my bike.

Anyway, here's the site:

The Story of Stuff

John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!