07 January 2008

Finding My Way in the Dark

Last week I began commuting to work by bicycle from time to time. This is a huge change for me. My friend and neighbor Don recently purchased a commuter bike as well. Fortunately, he hasn't been in quite the hurry I was to get into the commuting swing. I've learned a few lessons along the way the last couple weeks (and have one or two lumps to prove it). Anyhoo... tonight I sent him an e-mail with a few suggestions regarding commuting. Now, I'm far from an authority on this, and I'm sure others could add to this list, but hopefully there are a few useful things to consider here.

1. Know the conditions of your route at all times. What is the ice condition? What is the pavement condition? What is the traffic like when you will be riding? This is especially important for the route you take in the morning when it's dark.

2. Be sure your bike is visible. Not just the flashers and such, but the bike itself. Mine is lit up like a Christmas tree and I've had little to no problems with cars being close to me.

3. When ice and snow hit, do one of two things. Either get some studded tires and practice riding with them to learn how they work, or stay home.

4. You can't possibly have enough light in front of you. Don't skimp on front lighting. I'm getting by with one very nice front light (a Nightrider Sol), but I should have another (and will, as soon as the money will allow).

5. Bring a variety of cycling clothes with you to work. You never know exactly what the conditions will be when you leave for home. Be ready for everything and make your cycling clothing do double duty if necessary to save packing space. And don't forget to keep some food with you at all times.

6. Store what work clothing you can at work. I store a sweatshirt and my shoes at work. Less to carry on the bike.

7. Be ready to ride outside of your comfort zone when you first start commuting. But don't take this as a license to be stupid. Be realistic about your limitations. But, at the same time, don't underestimate what you can accomplish. Small steps.

8. Enjoy the ride. This one is taking me some time to grasp fully. After a couple of morning commutes now I've started to look around a bit (while still being vigilant of the conditions around me). There are some pretty cool things to see at 6am. In the dark. On a bike.

9. Don't race. This is a commute, not a Hines paceline. You're likely not riding your sexy road bike, so don't try to be sexy. Ride well within yourself.

10. Be prepared for people at work to be amazed. They will not understand you, but they will respect you. And, truth be known, you'll feel pretty good about yourself at the end of the day too.

My $.02. These are as much for me as they are for anyone else. Hope this helps.
John

No comments: