28 January 2007

Ann Arbor Folk Festival (part 1)

Just got home from the Friday night show. My observations (and official star rating), for what they're worth. We missed Millish and the first couple songs of Ember Swift.

1. Jeff Daniels killed as MC. He nearly stole the show IMO. His song Are You As Excited About Me As I Am had the crowd both laughing and spellbound. [*****]

2. Ember Swift - We arrived late and only saw a couple songs of hers, but I was impressed with her energy, vocals and the band. Great band! Plus, she's got a really distinct way of holding her acoustic guitar when she plays it! Very different. [***]

3. Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams - These folks really impressed me. Their new album is called Flapjacks from the Sky. I highly recommend the song Sunday in the Rain. Plus, their frontman Joziah really cracked me up. Kinda reminded me of Captain Jack Sparrow... Savvy?[****]

4. Martha Wainright - Great vocal talent, but I could've lived without her and her foot stomping. Her mother came out and played piano on a couple songs to start out, but nothing Martha did really impressed me at all. [*]

5. Jackie Greene - I don't know where this guy has been hiding, but I'm on to anything he produces. He is a consumate musician and singer with a tinge of the blues in everything he does. Very easy going too. Nothing rattles him. New album is American Myth. [*****]

6. Kiyoshi Nagata Ensemble - Think "Oriental Stomp" and you have a picture of this group. I would like to have seen more of these folks (well, technically one of the guys was nearly naked), but the format doesn't allow. I was just starting to get into the swing of it when they had to stop. Hypnotizing. [***]

7. Rufus Wainwright - Not a fan. We were bored to tears and left after about four of his songs. The guy is a magnificent musician/songwriter to be sure, but just not our style. He and his sister Martha did a nice duet, but this seemed like something I'd expect to see in Vegas, not the Ann Arbor Folk Festival. His banter between songs was some of the worst/annoying I've heard from an artist. He strikes me as being very impressed with his own vocal ability. [**]

Really looking forward to tomorrow!

Part 2

No comments: