13 January 2007

Steve Miller Was Right...



"Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'... into the future."

Gray skies suck the life right out of me. I should be smarter than the sky. I should be able to overcome some lack of UV rays! I'm the most intelligent lifeform on the planet and a few days of gray skies have got me down??? I don't remember seeing racoons and possum moping around in the overcast. They seem to adjust fine!

Seems that most of my life is spent in the dark these days. Nothing worse than leaving for work in the dark and arriving back home in the same. I've been trying to motivate myself by contemplating that there are only 52 weeks in a year. Here we are two weeks into the new year. Fifty weeks left. Time seems to fly when I think in these terms.

A few weeks ago, I set a couple goals for myself. One was to ride 4000 miles this year. A daunting number at first blush. But when you break it down, it is well within my capability. I'd need to average about 77 miles per week. Last week, I managed 140 miles in fairly decent weather. This week has not been so kind to me. Even if I fall a bit behind in these first three months, I should make it up beginning in April. Ah, April. When the temps begin to rise, the sun is not quite as shy and I can feel the warmth of the rays as they hit my face! April!

Three months... 13 weeks. And two of those weeks are already past. It's funny, but the thought of winter doesn't seem quite so daunting when I think about it in those terms. "Eleven weeks to go". I can do this. Gray skies be damned, I can DO THIS!

But a little sunshine would help.
J

No comments: