28 January 2007

Ann Arbor Folk Festival (part 2)

The 30th Annual Ann Arbor Folk Festival is in the books. As was promised in the Folk Festival website, the show tonight featured the heart of folk, of yesterday, today and tomorrow. Here's a brief run down of tonight's events.

1. Jeff Daniels was, again, in wonderful form. I was not aware of what a great guitar player and songwriter he is. His performance as MC inspired me to pick up his Live & Unplugged to Benefit the Purple Rose Theatre CD. [*****]

2. Daisy May - A local girl (Big Rapids, MI). She was very fun to listen to both during her songs and during her between song comments. A very humble and talented young lady. [****]

3. Terri Hendrix & Lloyd Maines - Couple of Texans who entertained us up here in the frozen north. I enjoyed Terri's music. Interesting note: Lloyd is the father of Natalie Maines (of the Dixie Chicks). [***]

4. Paul Thorn - Best thing to come out of Tupelo, Mississippi since the King. This guy is a real treat to watch/listen to. When he came out, he proceeded to tell us that his guitar had been stolen earlier in the day and that he was using John Prine's guitar. Then he says that he was singing this first song for whoever stole his guitar. Title? It's a Great Day to Whup Somebody's Ass. And it got better from there. Dude's stage personality is hilarious. I got to meet him after his set and get a signature on his CD/DVD. Real good guy. He made a total killing there, btw. The lady running his merch table could not take people's money fast enough. [*****]

5. Over the Rhine - Some of you may know this Ohio outfit. Karin, Linford and the boys were dressed to kill and played just as well. I remember the songs they played, but am a little fuzzy on the exact order.

Born
Trouble
North Pole Man
I Don't Want to Waste Your Time
Orphan Girl
Nothing Is Innocent Now
Devil is in the Details
If a Song Could Be President


Needless to say, the reference to John Prine in If a Song Could Be President was a big hit. Mickey was up to his usual shenanigans during North Pole Man, although I'm not sure the unfamiliar crowd appreciated it as much as an OTR crowd. I did, however, see some folks standing and applauding as the band left the stage. [*****]

6. Bill Staines - Those of you who have followed American music for many years may know this guy. He's been around since the late 60's. We were glad to have him here in Michigan for the weekend. Loved the songs River, Roseville Fair and Child of Mine. [*****]

7. Mountain Heart - These boys can flat out pick. That is all. [****]

8. John Prine - Felt like I was witnessing history on this one. This guy has been around what seems to be forever. And he can still bring it. He had a great bass player and lead guitar player with him. With a collection of songs like his, it was amazing to hear him choose an hour's worth of music to play. He did my favorite, Angel from Montgomery, so that was cool. Fish and Whistle, Souvenirs and That's the Way That The World Goes Round were also in the set. As you might imagine, Sam Stone and Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore got rousing ovations. Prine's voice was strong given his surgery a few years back (I actually prefer his voice now over his early years). And his stage presence..... well, he hasn't stayed in business all these years for nothin'.

At the end of his set, he brought out all the musicians from the night to accompany him on Paradise. Paul Thorn played Prine's acoustic and sang a couple of the verses. K & L and the boys were part of the chorus. Mickey's drumming (brushes on his red strapped snare) gave the song a nice feel.

Dude is a legend. 'nuff said. [*****]


A truly great weekend of music. Was a special treat to witness all this great music with Jen and Rach.

2 comments:

I am Z said...

thanks for the ann arbor review.

paul thorn has played nashville for years - always liked him and his off-the-wall banter.

kind of surprised otr is still doing north pole man this late into the season -- oh well.

peaceful regards,
z

Anonymous said...

My Bicycle Tour In VermontSeveral years ago, a friend took me on a bicycle tour in the Sonoma Valley. Ever since that trip, I have been hooked on the idea of active vacationing. I save money every year specifically earmarked for a bicycle tour.Last year, I chose to do my yearly excursion to Vermont. I found a company that specialized in bicycle tours of the villages in Southeast Vermont. I am so glad that I chose this trip. I think that it exceeded my every expectation and was quite possibly the best cycling experience that Ive ever had.Bicycle tours are really great only if the support team is helpful and courteous. The scenery will fade away if the breakfast is bad or the beds are lumpy. It is a lot of work to cycle around to see sights instead of driving around to see them in a rental car. After this bicycle tour, I will recommend the company that ran it to anyone.I think that Vermont may be the prettiest state Ive ever visited. While I was on my bicycle tour, I saw so many lovely villages. There were white churches and picket fences. I saw a brick federalist mansion that took my breath away. I stopped to shop at several craft shops and even a general store.I somehow felt connected to a past I wasnt a part of. There were people sitting on their front porches waving as our bicycle tour pedaled by. I was most surprised by the excellent accommodations that we were provided. We stayed two nights at the Kedron Valley Inn. That inn is 168 years old and has been selected by travel writers as one of the top ten inns in America.The next inn that we stayed at was considerably newer and had a few more amenities than the Kedron Valley Inn. I enjoyed the proprietors so much. They sat on the porch with us after sundown and told stories about various people that had stayed there over the years. I think I could have listened to them for hours, but I was tired from the days riding on the bicycle tour and turned in early.To learn more about everything bicycles vist my site at: BrensMartUSA Bicycles Have a geat day and stay healthy!Brenda Sue