21 September 2005

Weight Loss

Weight loss seems to be both simple and bewildering to me. One one hand, it is one of the most profitable businesses in the United States. Companies make millions with their "plans." On the other hand, this nation is probably one of the most overweight nations in the world. In the media and across the lunch table, people debate the "current weight loss program."

I am in the minority it seems. At 43, I have rarely needed to lose weight. Until about a year ago that is.

Last year I got up to about 195 and decided it was time to slim down. I started running again and added biking as well. As was always the case in my active life, I didn't lose weight. So I decided that more "drastic action" may be required. I monitored my caloric intake for about a week and found that I was taking in about 4500 calories a day. Seeing this, I decided to limit my intake to 2000 a day. My weight went down to 175 in a few months. Simple right?

Now, I'd love to tell you that I'm 175 today, but I'm back up around 185 (unfortunately, I did not continue to monitor my caloric intake these last few months). And it seems to be time for me to lose a little again. Actually, I feel like I need to just "move." And, as you might imagine, "moving" is much easier at 175 than 195. A friend recently voiced a few ideas about how important it is for the human body to move. I agree.

So even though Lindsay and I have been running a bit the last few weeks, I got back out on the roads myself today. Also, I plan on monitoring my caloric intake over the next few weeks to cut down what I'm sure is "too many" every day!

I'm hoping to get down to around 175 by Thanksgiving (ironic, I know). Also, I'd like to run in the Dexter to Ann Arbor Half Marathon next June. Results will be posted here as I progress.

No comments: